Re: Recommended hardware for 9i on Linux, at home

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 12:43:52 -0700

alcesteatxmissiondot_at_com.or.net wrote in message news:<blj5ko$6m7$1_at_terabinaries.xmission.com>...
> > I'm interested in what would be a decent processor or complete box for
> > running a cheap or free linux.
>
> Since obviously you're going cheap, here's what I'd go with:
> get an older AMD XP, two nice IDE disks with some Ram cache,
> a cheapy Matrox video card, a firewire card, and two cheapy
> external IDE hard disks. Use the Firewire disks for backup,
> and if you ever want to play with linux RAC you've got what
> you need.
>
> Run Redhat 7.3 (close to AS 2.1) and build your own kernel from the
> 2.5 branch...or use the developer AS 2.1 if you can still get that
> for the 60 bucks.
>
> A gig of RAM should be enough.

That's not too different from my frankenstein system... Maybe I should take a fresh look at RH 7, maybe they fixed the unacknowledged problem in 3 point releases... Don't know anything about firewire (when it first came out, I ignored it thinking there would be some standards shake-out), will check it out. I haven't even tried to get the USB working :-)

Haven't had any reason to look at RAC yet.

Thanks to all, if anyone has any more specific recs on backup devices, email me at the posted address, s/home.com/cox.net/.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3086651