Re: Oracle is a bigger version of MS Access?

From: Thomas Kyte <thomas.kyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 05:55:10 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3F7C7514.2C0FDB44_at_yahoo.net>...
> Noons wrote:
>

> BTW: HTML DB looks like it has it's roots in a Tom Kyte project back in the late 90's (anyone from inside remember
> Aria?). Based on the 10G demos it has: several years worth of stability; Tom's personal touch going a way back; a
> very friendly face lift; and (not based in deep study) decent integration with post-8i technology.

Just to give credit where credit is due -- while I've contributed to webdb, portal and now html db -- the real development team (took more then one) deserves the pats on the back.

The main guy behind html db is Michael Hichwa. I've worked with Mike for over 10 years now. I remember way back in 1995 when he first got the idea for webdb (called simply "browse" way back then). He boot strapped the system using our favorite tool "sqlplus". From then on in -- browse -> webdb -> html db was built using the prior "dot" release of itself.

At first, it was just Mike driving this thing -- I'd throw in some code every now and again, but it was his thing. Over time, it got serious. The team grew and the html development team is now:

Mike Hichwa
Joel Kallman
Sergio Leunissen
Tyler Muth
Jason Straub
Christina Cho
Sharon Kennedy
Marc Sewtz
Scott Spadafore
Raj Mattamal

These are the people who made it happen -- most of them sit down the hall from me. They are all about html db and getting it right. They are of the mind that the database is a pretty good operating system and if you do it in there, you are portable across everything. The browser is our gui, the database the operating system. Works very nicely. Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 07:55:10 CDT