Re: Help with ORA-08176 please

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 06:45:43 -0400

> <no Oracle Server version info posted>
Look at the end - it is: OpenVMS 7.3-1 - Oracle 8.1.6.0

> NOLOGGING does not affect the creation of undo (rollback).
agreed

> NOLOGGING affects the generation of redo.
agreed

> Redo is not used in the creation of consistent read blocks.
> Undo is used in the creation of consistent read blocks.
don`t agree. *Rollback segments* are used for consistent view.

Pls correct me if I`m wrong
I still don't understand what caused ORA-8176

Thanks

--
Syltrem
OpenVMS 7.3-1 - Oracle 8.1.7.4

http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS site in french language)

> > Hi
> >
> > Yesterday a report was running for an hour or so, when the user called
and
> > asked why it was taking so long.
> > I found I needed to create an index so I did.
> >
> > CREATE INDEX .... NOLOGGING;
> > ALTER INDEX ... LOGGING;
> >
> > I thought creating the index with NOLOGGING would be a good thing since
this
> > was a pretty large table, and the index creation would run faster.
> >
> > But the report program stopped abruptly at some point with the message
> >
> > 08176, 00000, consistent read failure; rollback data not available
> >
> > // *Cause: Encountered data changed by an operation that does not
generate
> > // rollback data : create index, direct load or discrete
> > transaction.
> > // *Action: In read/write transactions, retry the intended operation.
Read