Re: RMAN question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:45:14 +1000

Lucyna Witkowska wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>
> Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>> There is no functional reason why (in 9i) you need to run with a catalog.

> As this is my problem too. Could you say that for 8.1.7 RMAN also?

Well, I believe that without a catalog in 8i, you not only lose the scripting abilities (which as I say is no great drama, because you can invoke text file scripts from within RMAN), but you also lose the ability to do tablespace point in time recoveries (TSPITR).

However, I can't remember the last time I actually needed to *do* a TSPITR, so for me that would not be a show-stopper. But your mileage might vary.

In short, it's not such a clear-cut issue in 8i.

> Greetings,
> LW
> It's a pity that 9i RMAN cannot backup 8i databases :-(

Sure about that??

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 04:45:14 CDT