Re: RMAN question

From: Sean Chang <sean_at_cnfei.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 17:00:49 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1065127162.279403_at_yasure...
> Sean Chang wrote:
>
> >Hi, Everyone,
> >
> >I intend to side with Volker against Rman Catalog DB, which I believe
> >is a stupid idea from Oracle. How can you explain to a small company
> >you will need another catalog Database to just backup this database,
> >
> ><snipped>
> >
> How you ask? Go to http://store.oracle.com and order one copy of Oracle
> part #L10004 for the
> bankruptcy causing, earthshaking, guess we're gonna have to sell the
> farm, price of $300.00 USD.
>
> All you need is a single named user with Standard Edition and an hour or
> two to install it. What's the big deal?

Your comments make no sense. Forget about there is ANOTHER DB to maintain?

If you use catalog DB in the same machine as product DB, you have to, at minimum use seperate disks. Otherwise a single disk crash( very common) will destroy both databases, the recovery will involve 2 database instead of 1,
much more work for just recovery one database. if you have the catalog DB in another machine, the cost and maintenace are even higher....

I agree that large datacenter may benefit from catalog DB based Rman . for small
to middle size databases, catalog DB for rman only is just ridiculous.

sean chang