Re: OT: Interesting DB article

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:19:34 -0500

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 22:03:34 +1000, "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

<snip>

>Well, it's true for any business that relies on processing enormous
>amounts of data for its day to day operation. Financial market
>is obvious. Market research as well. Go into manufacturing
>or primary industry and there is little to be gained from commercial
>data processing.

Unless I'm missing something . . . I'd have to say any modern mfg facility absolutely lives by IT/DP. Producition line build sequences are controlled by sophisticated scheduling systems. Purchasing, inventory control (both direct materials and non-production materials), parts delivery and product shipping logistics, and all increasingly interconnecte. Customer places order, which feeds production line scheduling, which feeds parts ordering, which feeds both finance and logistics. The assembly line feeds info back to inventory control ( which feeds parts ordering) and finance . . . all absolutely dependant on IT.

>But a lot to be gained from scientific and pure research
>computing. Which you can do with any 5 year old system, apart
>from some very specialized areas.
>Go into small to medium sized commercial outfits though and it's a
>totally different ballgame. Cost is the driver, above all else.

<snip> Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 15:19:34 CDT