Re: So, did I do good? (Did my first Oracle recovery, seems good... thoughts?)

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:13:34 -0400

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3f7c4a32$0$250$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:3f7b44d0$1_at_rutgers.edu...
> > Wow, am I glad I implemented archivelog mode on our old Oracle 7.3
server!
> > Here's what happened- did I do good?
> > (..snip..)
> > Hopefully I didn't make that confusing... basically, I'm wondering if I
> > should've brought file 11 from it's last good hot-backup, or if it was
> okay
> > to have performed recovery on the "needs media recovery" file.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> If did I do good means 'did I recover my data to where I want it to be?'
> then the answer is Yes.
>
> However things that jump out at me.
>
> You aren't sure if you did everything correctly - this means that
> a) you've never done this before - time to get a test environment and try
> out various recovery scenarios so you don't see them for the first time
with
> the CEO shouting at you :(
> b) You don't have your recovery process documented - what would have
> happened if you were on leave for the next 3 weeks?
> These two are connected. basically the last thing you want in a high
> pressure situation is to be faced with the unknown.
>
> You don't know whether you needed to restore the file and apply logs or
just
> apply logs. The answer is the second.
>
> You backed up before you tried recovering. Everybody should do this.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Both good points!! I have a test server (with 8i) that I was going to play with for recovery scenarios, but kept putting it off. Looks like I'll be trying to tackle that tomorrow- along with some documentation. I had someone looking over my shoulder for the first hour- which I'm not used toand  I wasn't able to think swiftly.

What would've happened if that file -was- corrupted due to a bad sector on the drive? Would Oracle tell me that it couldn't apply logs?

My worry was that Oracle patched up a corrupt file, and would fail again when it tried to read the bad area (example, hard drive sector).

Thanks,

-Thomas Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 15:13:34 CDT