Re: RMAN question

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:36:46 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c6tonvc1d8op97t2bp3m57q4ejelkfsilj_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:29:08 +0200, "Volker Hetzer"
> <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote:
>
> >If I need to recover something outside the recovery window I simply
> >had it set up the wrong way. Since the recovery window isn't set according
> >to the whim of the dba but is agreed upon with the customers, what's the problem?
>

> Imagine you have a customer with a 30 day recovery window (which, BTW,
> is quite normal). Now would it be feasible to have a control file
> hosting 30 days archive log file names? Especially if you have 1000s
> of archive logs per day?

"1000s of archivelogs per day" means several archivelogs per minute. Personally I'd first use bigger redos. ISTR that a good log switch time is about every fifteen to twenty minutes, making it to less than a hundred archived logs per day.
Apart from that, Ryan. okay, I concede if your controlfile runs real danger of outgrowing the filesize limit of your filesystem you must use the recovery catalog. How many gigabytes of data will change in your db per day? You should ask oracle support for an estimation of the resulting control file size. Right now, we have a controlfile size of about 2MB and I am not aware that 200MB would be a problem either. Correct me someone if I'm wrong.

Obviously it's your database and your responsibility and I can only draw from my own experience of what we are doing here. Your question seems to indicate that you are new to the job and I assume your boss wouldn't let you manage one of those huge beasts oracle was made for. (Apologies, if I'm wrong.) In case you have no more than three databases (production, test, spare) and you plan to manage less than 100GB total I'd start out with controlfile only. You'll test first anyway and then you'll see how the controlfile behaves. In my case, still test only but realistic load, I've got those three databases and do the backups locally using cronjobs.

I've asked my boss about the recovery window, he said "one day", I explained the concept, he grasped it and still said that old backups aren't important to him (mostly because the "old data" is kept in the db anyway), so we agreed on one week and the problem isn't the controlfile space but the disk space for the backups. (We back up to a disk which get's backed up by the department wide backup system.)

If you later figure out that a catalog is better, you can still migrate, no problem at all. You create a new db, hopefully on a different machine, create the rman user/schema and register your db. It's really nothing you have to decide when you take your first shot at oracle.

Hope this helps. Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 14:36:46 CDT