Recommended hardware for 9i on Linux, at home

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2003 11:14:04 -0700

All:

Wondering if there are any updates to last April's version of this thread.

I'm interested in what would be a decent processor or complete box for running a cheap or free linux.

This would be for playing around with 20-100G OLTP db's. I don't want to pay a grand for a free OS.

I am _most_ interested in backup devices for such a beast. Since I'm probably also going to have to buy a laptop for the wife, cheapness counts!

I've done various older slackware and RH on my frankenstein box, but was very put-out discovering "issues" with it with RH7, which I never had time to resolve (and felt ripped that their support couldn't help).

There is a new Fry's near me... (called a "work-in-progress" on their website :-).

TIA jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/thu/business/news_1b2gateway.html