Re: Oracle Licenses vs Processes

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 08:53:31 -0700

Richard Stanton wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have 'inherited' an oracle 8.05 database running on nt and have a
>question regarding processes and licenses.
>
>The database is accessed mainly through an application, but also
>serves some asp pages. We are licensed for 40 concurrent users.
>
>Occasionally we get a situation where you try and connect to the
>database and you get an error message stating that "maximum number of
>processes (100) exceeded".
>
>What processes is this referring to and how is it related to connected
>sessions? If it's just a default database setting, is it something I
>could change?
>
>thanks in advance for your help
>
>Richard

Every Oracle license is potentially different depending on when it was written, what modifications may have been requested, and what changes have been made by Oracle and via support agreements since it was written.

The only sources of the information you are requesting is Oracle and your legal staff.

That said Oracle licensing was likely based on users ... not processes ... and the number of process is a modifiable parameter. Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up the parameter and how to modify it.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu