Re: Oracle is a bigger version of MS Access?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:33:13 GMT

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1a75df45.0310020430.6339ced4_at_posting.google.com...
> Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote
>
> > The only possible argument against such religious drivel might be
Chapter
> > 1 of Kyte's expert one-on-one.
>
> Good, call. I've just photostated the first few pages and will be
> handing it out at the next architecture meeting.
>
> > But it's an uphill battle precisely because it's religious (pure belief
> > without, or deliberately ignoring, any visible means of support).
>
> Exactly. Which is why I'm trolling for comments and opinions, backed
> up personal experience, to also present at the next meeting.
>
> One of the problems I face is the perception that I'm an Oracle
> fanatic saying that as much as possible must be done in the database.
> It's difficult to change this perception and show that it is a common
> and the best practise method - and nothing to do with Oracle
> "fanatacism".
>
> So, how do you counter the opinion that Oracle should be a bit bucket
> without sounding like a fanatic?
>
> --
> Billy

Billy,
Ouch! Hard to deal with people who are unreasonable. Years ago I worked at a company that used a CRM from a company called Onyx. I don't know if it is different now, but at that time Onyx only ran on SQLServer. The architecture of the application was that ALL business rules etc. were in the database. They called stored procedures for everything. The internet boom, everything must be a thin client craze came along. They fairly quickly turned their CRM into a web based company CRM portal. Gee how did they do that? They didn't have to change the back end, just the GUI (web server stuff instead of a Visual Basic client server application. Hmm, does that sound like what Tom Kyte is talking about. Also in his new book he goes over this same thing, yet again. The Onyx guys were former MS people and so couldn't be stigmatized with the Oracle fanatic brand.

Best of luck fighting with unreasonable people.

Jim Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 09:33:13 CDT