Re: Oracle Database migration from 8i to 9i

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 2 Oct 2003 06:38:25 -0700

"Charles Davis" <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<pZCcnbQWAcH-0-aiXTWJhQ_at_comcast.com>...
> Here's my two cents, I just went through 35 upgrades of SAP Oracle/Unix
> databases:
>
> 1. Install Oracle 9.2.0.3.0 on new server.
> 2. Shutdown current Oracle server.
> 3. Copy all it's data files to the new server.
> 4. Copy its dbs and network/admin files to the same dirs on the new server.
> 5. On the new server, set Oracle_Home to the 9.2 home dir, and with
> SQLPlus "startup migrate".
> 6. Run the Script "rdbms/admin/u0801070.sql" or whatever your 8i version
> was.
> 7. Shutdown immediate.
> 8. Startup.
> 9. Done.
> 10. Adjust the Listener.ora file for the new Oracle_Home
>
> This is somewhat simplied, but you get the idea. don't waste time unloading
> and reloading the user database files when they aren't affected by the
> upgrade; why import and rebuild indices and stuff like that.
>
> Research this a tad more; there's an oracle 9i Migration Guide for you to
> review, but it's rather easy to upgrade.

Yes, you're right and this is definitely a way. However, the best way how to do upgrade depends on SLA, especially accepted downtime (together with size of database). If this acceptable downtime can be quite long then I would suggest to use exp/imp way, because is cleaner and with better outcome. If he does not have enough time to do this, then of course your way is better. On the other hand if he has almost no downtime available, then he should use other ways using external tools which can do this upgrade with less than 10 minutes downtime.

--
with regards

Dusan Bolek