Re: Oracle is a bigger version of MS Access?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:05:25 GMT

Billy Verreynne wrote:

> Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote
>
> > The only possible argument against such religious drivel might be Chapter
> > 1 of Kyte's expert one-on-one.
>
> Good, call. I've just photostated the first few pages and will be
> handing it out at the next architecture meeting.
>
> > But it's an uphill battle precisely because it's religious (pure belief
> > without, or deliberately ignoring, any visible means of support).
>
> Exactly. Which is why I'm trolling for comments and opinions, backed
> up personal experience, to also present at the next meeting.
>
> One of the problems I face is the perception that I'm an Oracle
> fanatic saying that as much as possible must be done in the database.
> It's difficult to change this perception and show that it is a common
> and the best practise method - and nothing to do with Oracle
> "fanatacism".
>
> So, how do you counter the opinion that Oracle should be a bit bucket
> without sounding like a fanatic?

Only successful counter I have ever been able to use is a 3-year Total Cost of Ownership or a ROI discussion.

Basically it comes down to

In my experience, every instance of build to duplicate functionality offered by a vendor

- has substandard functionality (who really understands the specs)
- is naiive (the simple 'proof/education' case is always too simple)
- is prototype code (no time for error handling - next release)
- is expensive to maintain (who has the budget)
- is the center of an empire (contrary to current HR & outsource trends)
- is job security (very short term view - even Steven Jobs moved on)
- is probably pushed by a second (and likely desparate) 'tool' vendor

On that last - is SUN's SUN-One (or IBM's WebSphere) sales team anywhere close to the other group? If yes, get Oracle's sales team on your side .... don't go it alone. Oracle has some good sales consultants that could help there but specific names depend on your region.

/Hans (yahoo >> telusplanet) Received on Thu Oct 02 2003 - 08:05:25 CDT