Re: Is this a good situation for an Index ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:59:21 +1000

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0309301434.60b07c0b_at_posting.google.com...

> I find the implication that sqlserver is not profitable very
> interesting.
>
> MS has just started paying dividends, which may be seen as reacting to
> the political and stock market climate, or conversely as a company
> maturing into a steady income stream from maintenance and upgrades.
> If the latter, it would make sense to bundle sqlserver, especially if
> it is not profitable to begin with.

Well, it reminds me of DEC's RDB. A great product that never took off in a big way. So, it became bundled. Only to be eventually sold to Oracle in what can only be described as a lunatic financial arrangement...

M$ however has the clout to push SS as the underlying data manager. That is gonna be mighty difficult to counter. Oracle has a chance now, but I still doubt it. IBM has bugger all chance, so they might as well give up selling another licence on Windows. What that is gonna do to UDB, I don't know...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto