Re: Select Function Returning Results of Select on Tables

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:14:42 -0500

Thanks for your response.

The global temporary table was just a thought for 1 specific case. It is not really the main thing I am after.

I am really wanting to have the ability to select a function that returns a "table of results" the same way a select of a table does.

I was not involved in this much, but we have a in-house developed application that allows for a lot of re-use for Web reports. The output is actually very nice with "download to Excel" buttons, charting, print, etc.

But, it is limited to 1 Sql statement at a time (and almost impossible to fix because of the poor design). So, we have lots of "uses" of this tool that have really messy Sql Select statements - with lots of inline views - just to get it into "1 Sql statement".

Anyway, there has been more than 1 time where it would have been better to write Plsql to produce the report. And, use a Select to dump the table to the web reporting tool. But, the inhouse tool does not allow running a procedure and then running a select .

I thought of using Global Temporary tables, but this is not that important.

--
"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net> wrote in
message news:rLseb.471648$Oz4.293153_at_rwcrnsc54...