Re: imp can't read my export file, what does this error mean?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Oct 2003 15:57:13 -0700

Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com> wrote in message news:<blf3o0$m7r$2_at_reader2.panix.com>...
> In <b7vlnv8gicmco8a8oqcs14a8o836vqajni_at_4ax.com> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> writes:
>
> >On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:50:04 +0000 (UTC), Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
> >wrote:
>
> >>What the heck is this trying to tell me?
> >>
> >That you still don't know what you are doing and are up for your next
> >saga of just hacking around
> >>Is this file too big of imp?
> >>
> >Yup,
>
> >2 Gb filelimit
>
> Ok, but this file was _created_ by exp from the same 7.3.4.5 instnace, and
> looking at it, it seems to have valid data in it. So, there must be _some_
> way of imporitng bits of it. Right?

No. However, you might be able to use the unix strings command to get some data to load with sqlldr. Or if it is not actually messed up, try piping it to imp, perhaps the OS is trying to tell you O can't deal with the large file and going through a named pipe will mellow it out. Personally, I've had very bad luck with NFS and many G files. Do a tail on the file and see if it says EXIT twice or looks like it's in the middle of data. See metalink Note: 1023811.6 for pipe example.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/09/26/029252&tid=109