Re: Default names conventions for the pfile

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewspamin.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:49:04 GMT

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:24:01 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Yes, you answered exactly what I was looking for i.e the order of search"

all of them in the oracle_home\database folder

specific spfile
generic spfile
specific pfile
generic pfile

If when I create a new oracle service using oradim and I specify the pfile location like this:

oradim -NEW -SID db -STARTMODE a -PFILE
c:\oracle\admin\db\pfile\initdb.ora

Will it become the default location? Every time I do this, registry entries are created in
hkey_local_machine\software\oracle\home0\ORA_SID_PFILE which specifies the pfile location of that database.

Also, I if have several databases on the same server, you cannot use the generic init.ora. so I usually put the init.ora for each database in oracle_base\admin\db\pfile\initdb.ora

Thanks