Re: Oracle Database 10g. When ?

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:18:59 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Javier Villegas wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it
> is released.
>
> And given that no software company is going to stick its neck out and
> commit to a specific date in advance ...
> you'll just have to learn patience.
>
> About all I can tell you is that from my experience it blows 9i away and
> when compared with its competition
> from other vensors is amazing. Especially if you don' treat a database
> as just a hyped up version of an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> The only thing Oracle needs to do to make 10g a huge success is change
> its pricing model and stop treating the database
> as though it consists of nothing but columns and rows.

I went to an intro to 10g type workshop yesterday put on by Oracle, they would not specify a release date.

There is some neat "stuff", I found the HTML DB particularly intriguing, and a possible solution (as they suggested) to the enormous glut of MSAccess "databases" that start out as a handly little applet and are soon deemed "mission critical" by management... Received on Wed Oct 01 2003 - 12:18:59 CDT