Re: Oracle Database 10g. When ?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 1 Oct 2003 10:14:07 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1064985017.992531_at_yasure>...
> Javier Villegas wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it
> is released.
>
> And given that no software company is going to stick its neck out and
> commit to a specific date in advance ...
> you'll just have to learn patience.
>
> About all I can tell you is that from my experience it blows 9i away and
> when compared with its competition
> from other vensors is amazing. Especially if you don' treat a database
> as just a hyped up version of an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> The only thing Oracle needs to do to make 10g a huge success is change
> its pricing model and stop treating the database
> as though it consists of nothing but columns and rows.

alot of 3GL developers treat databases as excel spreadsheets, unfortunately.
Wasnt 9i release about 9 months after it was announced? I believe it was announced at Oracle World in September 2000, then released what june/july 2001?

Its typically a year or so after release before you see many jobs advertising that they are using it. Might be longer now, since with the slow economy there is alot less new development. Received on Wed Oct 01 2003 - 12:14:07 CDT