Re: setting uo variables when linux starts

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:22:20 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Glen A Stromquist wrote:
>

>>Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>>>Which variables? All the 'ORACLE_HOME' and 'ORACLE_BASE' ones?
>>>
>>>If so, in Red Hat, I use .bashrc for the user. For SuSe, I seem to
>>>remember it was .profile.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>HJR
>>
>>SuSE I think it might be  in .bash_profile, but could be .bashrc...

> I think you might be right on .bash_profile. It's been a while since I
> dabbled with SuSe (if only they'd provide the 8.2 as downloadable ISOs!)

SuSE is a nice distro, my boss let me buy the boxed set to play with, and yes it is a pain why they dont have downlaodable ISO's, but I did hear sometime ago that there is a Japanese ISO one can download then when installing you just pick english instead, never followed up on it though...

>>BTW Howard - how goes the Oracle install on Mandrake?

> :-( It doesn't. Red Hat 9, not a problem (apart from the extremely dodgy
> advice that's out there on the web). Mandrake 8.1 and 8.2 was easy. But I'm
> a Mandrake 9.1 boy on the desktop these days (except when I feel I ought to
> reinstall Red Hat!), and none of the 'usual' tricks work at all there.
>
> On the other hand, Open Office doesn't work out of the box on Mandrake 9.1
> either, so why was I not surprised!

The advice on the web can be indeed "dodgy", which brings me to my peeve on since Oracle officially only supports the 2 linuxes, one would think that they could work with them to provide a shell script or rpm that would at the least go through your install and tell you what you were missing or needed, at the most do it for you!

I went to a 10g intro yesterday put on by Oracle (some very cool stuff) and cornered an oracle guy and asked him this, he said it took *him* the better part of a day to do a linux install as well, thought it was a good idea. I suggested it as a topic for the "tech-talk" sessions they hold, and it appears that some courses on Oracle/Linux are being made available, a good thing...

>>My last 9ir2 on SuSE7.3 went soooo smooth (still dont know why:-) that
>>I'm contemplating loading it on my Mdk 8.2 box at home, getting brave, I
>>may even take a stab at installing it on one of the BSD's if that goes
>>well!
>>

> I must try BSD one day. Might as well. Currently I have Windows 98, Windows
> 2000 Professional, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server,
> Windows 2003, Windows XP Professional, Red Hat 8, Red Hat 9, Red Hat
> Advanced Server and Mandrake 9.1 on various boxes littered around the
> house. The Other Half is not amused!
>
> And I still can't find one I entirely like!!
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

>>cheers1

I would think that the BSD's would be an attractive platform for Oracle, from what little I've read about it it sounds like a more "pure" OS (for lack of a better word) and a very, very stable one.

I took advantage of my high(er) speed connection at work and downloaded the ISO's for net and freebsd, lots of retired PIII's to play with but no time! Received on Wed Oct 01 2003 - 11:22:20 CDT