Re: User datafiles and index on separate disks

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 21:31:41 +1000

Rainer Herbst wrote:

> Peter schrieb:

>> Is it a must to place datafiles, undo segments and table index on
>> separate disks? If not, what are the benefits of doing so?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> ok, I get the point.
>
> The correct answer is:
> No, it is not a must.
>
> Where to place your datafiles, undo segments and table indices depends
> on your hardware configuration.
>
> Have I something missed?
>
> Regards!
> Rainer

I wouldn't say it depended on your hardware configuration as much as your I/O hotspots problems. Diagnose them, and deal with them, wherever they arise, as best you can with the hardware available. Obviously hardware comes into that, but the thing to concentrate on is the actual problem, not split things up just because common practice or bad books tell you to.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Oct 01 2003 - 06:31:41 CDT