Re: Is it possible to recover just one datafile/tablespace "until cancel"?

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:59:12 +0000 (UTC)

In <gmseb.6097$Nz6.3922_at_bignews4.bellsouth.net> "Burt Peltier" <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net> writes:

>If all you lost were archived redo logs, you should not have had to do much
>, I think.

>Not sure what you did first, but the correct course of action might have
>been real simple. Of course, once you do 1 wrong command, the correct
>command may no longer work. Good reason to do a cold backup before doing any
>recovery.

Agreed, I should have backed up the remnants instantly, before I did anythign else!

I _think_ the first mistake I made, was, when I tried to open the instance, after restoring what archivelogs I _did_ have. The instnace asked for "media recovery". I tried to do this. I suspect that this wasa mistake, right? I further supose that this was the result of the instnace bieng in the middle of a hot backup, with at least 3 tablepsaces in backup mode. Does this make sense?

>I once had a database crash in the middle of a hot backup. It looked like I
>needed to do some kind of recover.

Yes.

>But, I think (been a while - doing this from poor memory) all I had to do
>was 'recover database' . Basically, because the datafiles were in "begin
>backup" mode, Oracle needed the current REDO log just to "sync" things up
>and take the datafiles out of backup mode.

Well, I did "recover datafile xxx" on idiviual datafiles, but at some point in time, I was prompted for an archivelog I did not have. What should I have doen then?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin