Re: Is it possible to recover just one datafile/tablespace "until cancel"?

From: Thomas Schwickert <schwickert_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:55:13 +0000 (UTC)

"Stan Brown" <stanb_at_panix.com> wrote in message news:blbst1$i45$1_at_reader2.panix.com

> Not meaning to challenge your GURUness :-) but is this an issue of my
> Oracle version being to old (7.3.4.5)? As some other people have sugested
> that I can do a recover until cancel on a specific datafile.

Hi,

it's so in 7.3.x as also in 9.2.x ... :-)

Part of the docu (9.2)
(http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a90842/ch13.htm#1010523) ----- snip ----
RECOVER {general | managed | END BACKUP}

where the general clause has the following syntax:

[AUTOMATIC] [FROM location]
{ {full_database_recovery | partial_database_recovery |LOGFILE filename} [ {TEST | ALLOW integer CORRUPTION } [TEST | ALLOW integer CORRUPTION ]...]
|CONTINUE [DEFAULT]|CANCEL} where the full_database_recovery clause has the following syntax:

[STANDBY] DATABASE
[ {UNTIL {CANCEL | TIME date | CHANGE integer} | USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE}
[UNTIL {CANCEL | TIME date | CHANGE integer} | USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE]...] where the partial_database_recovery clause has the following syntax:

{TABLESPACE tablespace [, tablespace]... | DATAFILE datafilename [, datafilename]...
| STANDBY
{TABLESPACE tablespace [, tablespace]... | DATAFILE datafilename [, datafilename]...}
UNTIL [CONSISTENT] [WITH] CONTROLFILE }

As you wrote in another response, your RECOVER DATAFILE ... UNTIL CANCEL complained about the UNTIL key-word. Then you made a RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL But like the name say, it a recovery of the DATABASE

Quod erat demonstrandum :-)

> I'm genuinly interested in using this catastrophe as a learning experience,
> so please be gentel :-)

what's your catastrophe ? Dropped Table ? Deleted Rows ?

Thomas