Re: Mulitple oracle home and tnsnames.ora directories

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:29:01 GMT

"Nicholas Lupis" <lupis_at_postmaster.co.uk> wrote in message news:57c51a5b.0309301343.32bdc347_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello
>
> I have been installing a number of oracle products such as 9i,
> Warehouse Builder, Discoverer and also Designer.
>
> Because these installations don't allow the same Oracle Home directory
> multiple directories have been setup, one for the database, one for
> Warehouse Builder and another for Discoverer each with there own
> tnsnames.ora file and also multiple installtions of SQLPlus and other
> configuration tools.
>
> As you can imagine this is a bit of nightmare as at the end of the day
> a typical database should be accessed by all these applications
> therefore each tnsnames.ora file needs to have all the right access
> information.
>
> Is there anyone out there that has organised all these into some
> sensible structure, where by all tools can access the same
> tnsnames.ora and structure all the application in a resonable manner?
> Is so, how??? and is there anything documentation or tools availible
> for these problems.
>
> Regards
>
> Nick.

put your common files under a common directory. For example /var/opt/oracle/tnsnames.ora and then have all the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora files be a symbolic link to this file. And define a TNS_ADMIN env variable to point to /var/opt/oracle

I haven't looked, but you might find a lot of articles on metalink if you search for something like "multiple databases" "same server".

The symbolic link is more for clarity, so that anyone searching for tnsnames.ora in network directory knows that it actually points to /var/opt....

hth

Anurag Received on Tue Sep 30 2003 - 17:29:01 CDT