Re: Question to Oracle DBAs in Australia.

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:24:05 +1000

wij wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Can you please recommend me some good Oracle DBA job sites in down
> under?

www.seek.com.au

Generic job site, but has lots of IT-related stuff, too.

>Preferably Sydney.

Anywhere you choose!

>And also how is the market out there for
> someone over 3 yrs experience (7.X - 9i)? Currently based in UK. Any
> help / information would be greatly appreciated.

The market is appalling. Lots of ads ask for 5+ years. They also expect you to know shell scripting, VB, Java, Oracle Apps and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.

And because of the glut of trained DBAs looking for work, many places won't even look at inexperienced people with a view to training them up; they can take their pick of already-experienced people who won't be asking to blow the training budget.

Regards
HJR