Re: UTL_FILE_DIR

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:56:39 GMT

On 30 Sep 2003 09:50:40 -0700, steven.vannoy_at_dot.state.ia.us (Steve Vannoy) wrote:

>Thanks in advance.
>
>I have a test 9i database and a developer has posted a question to me.
> The question is....
>
>"When calling a procedure to upload a file, can these files be located
>someplace other than 'e:\data' on the oracle servers? If so we would
>like to create a few office subdirectories on a network server."
>
>I have allowed users/developers access to a folder on the server for
>procedures I/O. As far as I know access cannot be made to other
>servers on the network even for java stored procs. Is that right?
>
>Thanks again..
>Steve

Hi Steve,

No.

With Win32, Your UTL_FILE_DIR can list ANY path accessible from the server, i.e :

Your DB resides on server1.

You have a directory 'c:\oraclestuff' on server2, which you want your DB on server1 to acces.

You share 'c:\oraclestuff' with, say, sharename oracle$ and then you map that share on server on with, say, driveletter O:.

Now add O:\ to your UTL_FILE_DIR list in your init.ora and you are done.