Re: log miner end-of-file on communcation channel

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:42:32 +0200

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:33:39 +0200, "Steven" <SPAMBLOCKERsteven.pannell_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to use log miner but when I perform a select from the
>v$logmnr_conents table such as
>
>select operation from v$logmnr_conents where username = 'FRED'
>
>I get a ORA-03113: end-of-file on communcation channel.
>
>the trace files given no information expect the very unuseful 'internal
>error'.
>
>Anyone had this problem? is it possible to read the archive log without
>logminer??
>
>Thanks in advance,
>steve.

I've noticed, dependent on the number of logfiles you analyze, the operation can and will have a huge impact on the shared pool. Ora-3113 is an error which typically occur when there are problems with shared memory, and this may be well one of them. You might monitor the free memory in the shared pool from a different session by querying v$sgastat, but likely this is your problem. You probably need to reduce the number of archives you read in one batch.
Third party products to read the archive log used to exist, prior to Oracle 8i. I don't know their names. Other than you can of course use a hex-editor, but it would be both nasty and considered reverse engineering, so prohibited

Regards

--

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address