Re: Default names conventions for the pfile

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:42:00 +1000

Joel Garry wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

>> Peter wrote:
>>
>> > On a Windows system there a few default names for the initialization
>> > file.
>> >
>> > The default location is
>> > %ORACLE_BASE%\admin\db_name\pfile\initSID.ora
>> >
>> > But what is the order of search for the other default names for the
>> > pfile?
>> >
>> > Where in the manual an I find the default naming conventions for the
>> > pfile?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>

>> You can't actually have more than one default for anything, because
>> that's what a default is... the, er, default. So I'm not really sure I
>> understand your question.
>
> You can if the default is a search list, which is what you go on to
> describe.  The default _used_ is simply the first _found_ of many.

Whatever. By your own definition, there is A (singular) search list as a default. Ergo, there is ONE (singular) default.

I gave the correct information, but if you want to get clever over whether *A* search list actually constitutes a plurality of defaults, be my guest.

HJR Received on Tue Sep 30 2003 - 20:42:00 CDT