Re: 2 questions, deleting a tablespace on a damaged instance and tablespace

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:14:17 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:3f774ec9$0$32058$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > First, let me apologize fro starting a new thread on this, but I seem to
> > have stopped getting any replies to the old one :-(
>

> I tried replying to your emails, but every time I got a 'yahoo is not a
> trusted emailing source, and your email has thus been blocked' reply.
>

> > I've got a V7 instance that suffered a hardware failure, while doing a
 hot
> > backup. The disk that failed was the disk contain the archivelogs. In
> > addition I discovered that my backup methodology had a 2G limit that I
 was
> > unaware of, so my backups of the .dbf files are useless. In addition, I
> > tried doing media recovery, when perhaps I should not have.
> >
> > In any case, here are the questions.
> >
> > 1. I can get as far a "startup mount". at that point what do I need to
 do
> > to delete a tablespace (contained in a single .dbf file) from the
> > instance?
>
> Alter database datafile 7 offline drop;

Hi Howard,

Slight correction. The drop clause only makes sense with a noarchivelog database as by setting the file offline in this way effectively means the data file is doomed. The drop is there to let Oracle know you "really" want to drop it. If the database is in archivelog mode, forget the drop clause and simply drop the tablespace after opening the database (if dropping the tablespace is the intention).

Cheers

Richard Received on Mon Sep 29 2003 - 06:14:17 CDT