Upgrade dependent on database history ?

From: Gerold Krommer <g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:16:37 +0200

Hi all,

as I mentioned in another Oracle newsgroup, I'm embarking on a weekend that (amongst others) includes an Oracle 8.0.4 to 8.1.7.4 upgrade (on HPUX).

The database is part of a DMS system containing 70 million documents. The DMS vendor has only certified an upgrade procedure that goes from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7.4 thus requiring us to do an 8.0.4 to 8.0.6 upgrade beforehand, something that I feel is an unneccessary waste of time.

The vendors support group has told us that they have seen (sometimes) problems going from 8.0.4 to 8.1.7.4 with databases that were migrated from V7 databases. Something along the lines of 'missing columns or tables'. Those problems were not seen if they went V7-8.0.4-8.0.6-8.1.7 as opposed to V7-8.04-8.1.7.

Does anyone know about such troubles ? Could it be that different *supported* upgrade paths yield logically different databases ? I do not believe I will run into this since the database was exported from a V7 system and imported to the 8.0.4 but still I would like to be 'armed' with know-how.

Thanks for sharing,

/Gerold Received on Mon Sep 29 2003 - 09:16:37 CDT