Re: 2 questions, deleting a tablespace on a damaged instance and tablespace

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:42:28 +0000 (UTC)

In <duUdb.129017$bo1.58527_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au> "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> writes:

>"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> > First, let me apologize fro starting a new thread on this, but I seem to
>> > have stopped getting any replies to the old one :-(
>>

>> I tried replying to your emails, but every time I got a 'yahoo is not a
>> trusted emailing source, and your email has thus been blocked' reply.
>>

>> > I've got a V7 instance that suffered a hardware failure, while doing a
 hot
>> > backup. The disk that failed was the disk contain the archivelogs. In
>> > addition I discovered that my backup methodology had a 2G limit that I
 was
>> > unaware of, so my backups of the .dbf files are useless. In addition, I
>> > tried doing media recovery, when perhaps I should not have.
>> >
>> > In any case, here are the questions.
>> >
>> > 1. I can get as far a "startup mount". at that point what do I need to
 do
>> > to delete a tablespace (contained in a single .dbf file) from the
>> > instance?
>>
>> Alter database datafile 7 offline drop;
>>

>Hi Howard,

>Slight correction. The drop clause only makes sense with a noarchivelog
>database as by setting the file offline in this way effectively means the
>data file is doomed. The drop is there to let Oracle know you "really" want
>to drop it. If the database is in archivelog mode, forget the drop clause
>and simply drop the tablespace after opening the database (if dropping the
>tablespace is the intention).

OK, thnaks for the clarification. I wasn't having any luck with the original syntax.

So, for the file I have already deleted physicaly (which maps one to one to a tablespace), then I should use something like "drop tablespcae 'table_space_name'"? ? After doing a startup mount?

Or would it be an alter databse command?

The exact syntax would be _most_ helpful. The instnaces is 7.3.4.5

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin