Re: Oracle and Access

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:28:15 GMT

Brian Peasland wrote:

> Export the data from Access to a flat file (maybe comma delimited). Then
> use SQL*Loader to load the data into Oracle.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> Mohammad wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I have to read information from Access 97 DB and insert record to
>>Oracle9i table. I used ODBC for Access and Oracle and I did that. It
>>is working find but it is working very very slow!!!!!
>>
>>Could you please tell me any other way to do that job and faster or
>>maybe I missed same setting for ODBC.
>>
>>Thanks for your help.
>>
>>Hakim

That depends on what you are trying to do, do you just want to populate an Oracle table with data in an Access table once?, or is it an ongoing process and you have a heterogeneous service setup to do this?

If its the latter, then I'd try different ODBC drivers, in my experience with the murky waters of ODBC connections some apps give better performance with Oracle over MS drivers, and another will be far superior with an MS or Merant driver, (or vice-versa).

I'd try the Merant ones, I think they are called data-direct now and even Oracle support once told me that Merant ODBC drivers had more capability (or something like that) than their own drivers

hth Received on Mon Sep 29 2003 - 16:28:15 CDT