Re: star transformation not chosen because of bind variables

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:57:56 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1064771108.485331_at_yasure...
> <snipped>
>
> >Hints are only obeyed if they are legal, correct,
> >and used in the correct context.
> >
> >The major pain in the backside with Oracle is
> >finding the bit in the documentation where you
> >get told what is legal - I checked the SQL Reference
> >and the Performance Guide (where it mentioned that
> >you can't use star_transformation with cursor_sharing)
> >before I got to the Datawarehouse Guide. It's always
> >a good source of clues for optimizer issues.
> >

> One of my biggest complaints, and something I emphasize to my students,
> is that Oracle does not
> validate hints and report syntax errors: Which I consider as dumb as
> pounding dirt.
>
> That the following isn't caught:
>
> SELECT /*+ David Bowie */ dummy
> FROM dual;
>
> is patently ridiculous (though Richard might disagree). This is
> something Oracle should have fixed long ago.
> And yes I have on rare occassion used this feature to comment a select
> statement but it hardly a valid
> justification for making it possible to send garbage to the SQL engine.

I think I disagree, what should the parser say to

select /*+ USE_NL(A,B) */
* from a,b where a.id=b.id;

Should it accept this or should it say - Are you sure you don't want to specify ORDERED as well? Its the 'in the correct context' bit of Jonathan's comment that is the real pain (well that and my typing). All a parser could throw was exceptions on the basis of legality and correctness but not on the context. Received on Mon Sep 29 2003 - 11:57:56 CDT