Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:18:33 GMT

> a drawing representing an unbalanced index. The Oracle
>
> manuals, and also Oracle note 30405.1, state that
>
> indexes are always balanced because "the definition of a
>
> Balanced Tree is that all the data is on the same level."
>
> This is a nice theoretical concept, however, I am more a
>
> practical person than a theoretician, and I think that this
>
> type of balance is difficult to implement perfectly, and a
>
> number of practical imbalances can arise. Exhibit 5
>
> shows how an index grows its depth. "

Now that is funny!! "I am more a practical person than a theoretician, and I think that this type of balance is difficult to implement perfectly". Obviously, the person who wrote this has never taken the time to write the algorithm, taught in many Data Structures classes at fine Universities everywhere, in which a B-tree is easy to perfectly implement its balancing. Right there in the code. Works flawlessly every time!

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com