Re: Remote login password file questions.

From: Michael J. Moore <NOhicamelSPAM_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:25:11 GMT

Thanks Howard,
I confess that I have not read ALL of the Oracle documentation, but I have read the 9i Concepts and various other books. I have never seen "writing/updating to the password file" documented as part of the server process function. I wonder why this functionality is mostly undocumented. It seems rather important to me.

The fact that the server process does some updating also begs the question - what about recovery?
What happens if you recover the database to a point in time prior to the password file update?
Will SMON update the password file?

If you can direct me to any documentation that contains this level of detail, I would love to read it.

Howard, if you choose to answer, please reply to the group so that everybody can benefit.
Regards,
Mike