Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Database Reorganisation

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:46:58 -0500

Compress=y says to recreate the table/index with the same size, but instead of many extents as before, you will now have 1 extent.

This is the old way of doing things I think. Also, no matter why you are reorging, the following will at least get you into Locally Managed tablespaces and the old reasons for doing a reorg should then be minimized/eliminated.

TEST (because I haven't actually done it this way before) the following in a test database for yourself, but this should be much better... - Create a new tablespace as Locally Managed and give user XXX quota on it and while you are at it, change user XXX's default tablespace to this new tablespace.
- Alter Table ... Move ( I think this is the syntax to move to a different tablespace for tables)
- Alter Index ... Rebuild ( This works like move for table and I don't think there is a move for indexes)
- Not sure, but you might want to make sure these 2 commands do not do what compress=y was doing. Test...

But, one problem you might hit is that the move table does not work on LONG (and I assume BLOB or CLOBs). Then, you will need to do an export and import as before but create the user with a new default tablespace of the new LMT tablespace.