Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:05:04 +0200

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:09:49 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Thanks, Richard, for this. Good stuff. One or two comments interspersed.
>
>Again, absolutely agree: I've measured it several times. You want to know
>something *really* sad? Student in performance tuning class last week
>announced she's running a SAP application, and SAP have told her that
>*daily* index rebuilds are a requirement, otherwise the support contract's
>at risk. I frankly can't believe it, but she swore it was true. Anyway,
>point being: there are thousands of people out there doing regular weekly
>or monthly rebuilds to precisely no end, and thinking they are doing good.
>
>Sad isn't the word I would have used: infuriating is more like it.

I'm not particularly amazed by SAPs attitude. I once was forbidden by a vendor to change the PCTUSED of a table, because that wouldn't consitute a 'default install' and they would withdraw support. Quite often my hands are tied on my back by some 3rd party developer, who absolutely doesn't know anything about Oracle.

>A peace offering to Sybrand: I accept that in pushing for the correctives
>that are needed on this subject because of all those myths, I can appear to
>believe in black and white, when I realise that the world is actually grey.
>Sometimes to make a point, one has to make it rather more emphatically than
>others care for. When that happens, it helps not to take it personally, but
>to understand the context in which things are said.
>
>Regards
>HJR
  Peace offering accepted, though I'm not sure whether the adjective 'silly' really helps making the point clear. In the particular example I have been trying to outline you have a choice between having a standby DBA being called out of his bed, because the tablespace is full, the standby DBA often just adding another datafile, which makes the situation worse, because the filesystem is now more than 95 percent full and regularly rebuilding indexes, based on analyzing index_stats results. There are situations where you MUST rebuild indexes, as it is the only viable alternative. That said the recommendation NEVER rebuild doesn't apply to the particular customer. We have to.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Sep 27 2003 - 12:05:04 CDT