Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Database Reorganisation

From: DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:03:09 +0100

"Bernard Vicaire" <bernard.vicaire_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:bl4tj6$mc8$1_at_news-reader5.wanadoo.fr...
> Hi
>
> I "m looking at the best methode to reorganize an Oracle database, I'm
> usually use thes steps :
>
> - Export with optin compress=y
> - Drop user XXX cascade
> - Create User XXX
> - Import (from user=XXX touser=XXX)
>
> After deleting lines in tables and making a reorganisation, i'm surprised
> see in DBA studio that the used size of the tablespace is the same before
> and after these steps even if the tablespace is dropped and recreated
 before
> the Import.
>
> - Why ?
> - Is these steps the good methode to reorganize a database ?
> - How to reduce the used size of the tablespace ?
> - Is it better to delete and recreate the TEMP tablespace too ?
>
> Regards
>
> Bernard

First question you need to ask YOURSELF is why are you re-organising.

Why do you think importing the same data back would use less space? It's the same data - now you may have a lot more contiguous free space available but the used space will of course stay the same if the exact same data is going back in Received on Sat Sep 27 2003 - 16:03:09 CDT