Re: Oracle 9i service on XP won't start???

From: Mr. DB <misterdb123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2003 18:48:18 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1064673069.172563_at_yasure>...
> Ramakrishna C wrote:
>
> >I am sorry if this is a newbie question here. Installed Oracle 9i
> >Enterprise Server on my XP Professional. The Oracle service will keep
> >showing that it is 'starting'. Doesn't start even after a few hours. Any
> >ideas?
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >Ramakrishna
> >

> I'll go with Frank's response ... how do you know its not started and
> what do the logs say.
>
> But I will also go a bit further ... if it is in fact not starting ...
> use oradim to drop the Oracle service
> and recreate it. Make sure when you recreate it use use the startmode
> parameter 'a'.

You might also try modifying the service to allow it to interact with the desktop. Windows services (even Oracle) often kick-out messages to the console, but you can't see them if the service is setup so that it can't interact with the desktop. I've resolved issues like this in the past using that technique. Received on Sat Sep 27 2003 - 20:48:18 CDT