Re: LMT advice

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:46:18 +1000

Jack Wang wrote:

>> the bad taste that was
>> PCT_INCREASE will take an extremely long time to go away!!).

> Howard,
>
> Could you elaborate it more please? Is PCT_INCREASE involved in
> autoallocate?
>
> - Jack

Not at all. All I meant was, Oracle's previous attempts at self-automation have been, er, shall we say, 'a mixed blessing'.

PCT_INCREASE was Oracle's *old* way of trying to help you: the more extents you require, the bigger I'll make them, so the fewer you'll need.

It was an appalling piece of code which resulted in guaranteed fragmentation for the tablespace concerned.

Bitten by that experience, any feature in Oracle which claims to do things for you, I always ask 'what's the catch'. Autoallocate is a new(ish) piece of 'let me help you' code, and it's taken me two versions to persuade myself that there is no catch. It works, it works well. And it has none of the nasties associated with PCT_INCREASE, it's (if you like) similarly-intentioned predecessor.

So no, no connection, no involvement, just two completely different examples of 'self management'. One's dreadful, the other isn't.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Sep 27 2003 - 21:46:18 CDT