Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:22:06 +1000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:3f7627fd$0$2471$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> Wanna get really picky? Oracle doesn't use b-tree indexes anyway. It uses
> b*trees, which are different. Sort of.

Hehehe! Good point. The pdf claims they were using b-trees, but you're quite right: I remember seeing it written somewhere in one of the concepts manuals, ages ago.

> I gave up trying to explain what the 'b' stood for to students a l-o-n-g
> time ago!

A google on the term comes up with at least 20 variations. The term has been so overused it's not fun. At the core I believe it was binary search trees, which quickly became balanced binary trees and then a cacophony of variations.

The subject used to be a normal C-programming test in exams: "write your own b-tree handler". Quick recipe for Babel...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto