Re: How to change the parameter COMPATIBLE to a higher value?

From: Harald Maier <maierh_at_myself.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:04:39 +0200

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:

> Maybe ... maybe not. First off the OP may have 9i in which case he
> can change the initSID.ora for the rest of his life and nothing will
> happen. The OP would need to then recompile the initSID into the
> SPFILE.
>
> create spfile from pfile='<initSID.ora>';
>
> But perhaps more importantly I'm not sure if I've ever seen the
> initSID stored in bdump. In pfile absolutely. But the default on UNIX
> is $ORACLE_HOME/dbs and the default on Windows is
> oracle\ora92\database (oracle\ora81\database).

Additionaly, default location of the 'create spfile' or 'create pfile' command is $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. So if a spfile exists in the dbs directory then

  SQL> create pfile from spfile;

will create a pfile in the form of 'init${ORACLE_SID}.ora' in the dbs directory.

Harald Received on Fri Sep 26 2003 - 00:04:39 CDT