Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:55:53 +0200

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 17:41:47 -0400, "Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote:

>And from what I learned here, rebuilding an index
>will just make the database work harder to attain it's natural "size". So
>any space regained is temporary until the database irons itself back out.

Not true. In fact the impact of coalesce is minimal. However, an index will automatically skew, especially of you only insert data to only 1 end of the index. Deleted rows or not, Rebuild is the only option to get the tree rebuild, balanced, and reduced in size. And yes, it will start to grow again, but that is the result of introducing skewed data.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Sep 26 2003 - 16:55:53 CDT