Re: Help getting past missing archivelog file

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:05:10 +1000

Alistair Thomson wrote:

> Hi Stan
>
> You can restore until cancel or until a point in time, check out the
> syntax below:
>
> SVRMGRL> connect internal
>
> SVRMGRL> startup mount db_name;
>
> SVRMGRL> recover database until time '2003-09-23:14:40:00';
>
> While still in svrmgrl, execute the normal command to open the database,
> using the RESETLOGS option. This forces the database to reset the redo log
> sequence number information in the control files and the online redo log
> files This in turn makes sure that any redo log entry data that followed
> the "RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL" time will not be applied to the database:
>
> SVRMGRL> alter database open resetlogs;
>
> Now backup your database.
>

> Hope it helps
>

> Alistair

I have to say that's a dreadful piece of advice! Sorry, but it is so. The guy already has stated that the datafile in question (which is all that is being recovered here) only contains indexes, and that those indexes can be re-created. Your suggestion to do a database-wide incomplete recovery means that you will be causing data loss on the entire database, totally unnecessarily.

The correct response to this sort of situation is to alter database datafile X offline drop. That will permit him to open the rest of his database, drop the tablespace, re-create it, and then re-create all the indexes. And no data will have been lost in the meantime.

The only slight bummer to this approach is that it is easier said than done to get rid of the index tablespace, because some of those indexes might be being used to enforce constraints... and all those constraints will therefore have to be disabled before the tablespace drop can be accomplished... and then re-enabled at the end of it. But that's merely just a lot of hard manual work... it's still better than losing data he didn't need to lose in the first place!

Regards
HJR