Re: file 1 needs media recovery

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2003 06:53:45 -0700

drak0nian_at_yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<1ac7c7b3.0309252057.6e683256_at_posting.google.com>...
> Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com> wrote in message news:<bkvi9d$mcu$1_at_reader2.panix.com>...
> > This morning I had a hard drive on my Oracle machine die. It was the drive
> > containing the archivelogs.
> >
> > I've replaced the hard drive, and I am in the process of restoring the
> > archivelogs files from a backup.
> >
> > Optimisticly, I tried to start the database and got the following errors:
> >
> > ORA-01113: file 1 needs media recovery
> > ORA-01110: data file 1: '/oracle_home/oradata/pwhse/system01.dbf'
> >
> > So, I;m a bit confused about the meaning of this. This file is not located
> > on the disk that failed. Now I suppose that it may have been damaged in a
> > non orderly shutdown of the database. I tried replacing this file with one
> > from last nights hot backup, but I still get this message.
> >
> > What do I need to do to recover from this?
>
> if you replaced it from a backup, it would certainly require recovery.
> since its a datafile in the system tablespace, startup mount and recover database.
>
> were any controlfiles affected?
>
> Pd

Stan, Paul is right. What kind of backups do you take: hot or cold? With a cold backup since you recovered one file you must recover all database datafiles to get the entire database to one point in time.

If you use hot backups then since you lost the disk with the archived redo logs then I hope you back the archived logs to tape because you are going to need to retrieve the tape backups inorder to reapply the logs and bring the database to a consistent point in time. Depending on how many archived redo logs were lost and the time of the system datafile backup you are likely to have to recover all the database data files and roll forward through the archived redo logs you have stored on tape to perform a point in time recovery.

If you have a support contract I suggest you open an iTAR with metalink support and get some guidence on how to perform recovery. In the meantime you should pull your Backup and Recovery manual and give it a review.

If a condition like this ever happens again before recovering the datafile from a backup tell Oracle to perform recovery. In some cases such as an IO that was unable to complete to disk the information will be in the online redo log and Oracle can fully recover. In other cases it may not be able to recover with the information in the online log but Oracle will return information useful in performing the backup operation.

Good luck
-- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Sep 26 2003 - 08:53:45 CDT