Re: backup and recovery drills

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:44:33 -0700

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

>im learning backup and recovery. I have some test DBs at home on
>windows XP. what are some standard failures i can test to make sure I
>understand backup and recovery. other than the generic stuff. anyone
>have any interesting drills they have done at work?

Test 1:
Get a byte editor ... corrupt a datafile

Test 2:
Delete a log file and/or log file group

Test 3:
Delete one or all control files.

Test 4:
Delete a datafile or tempfile.

Test 5:
Delete the datafiles that make up the SYSTEM tablespace.

Test 6:
While running multiple jobs with loops doing a lot of inserts, updates, and deletes ... pull the plug out of the UPS.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu