Re: Administrator / domain user differences Oracle9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:38:00 -0700

rdmw wrote:

>Hi,
>I just installed Oracle9i on my pc (Windows XP pro). I have the
>following problem. I can only create a database when I am logged on
>as the Administrator user locally on my pc. When I logon as a
>different user that is part of a domain, I can't create any database
>and testing the connection using the Net configuration assistant
>failes (ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel).
>The domain user is part of the administrators group and ORA-DB group
>but that doesn't seem to help.
>
>Can someone tell me why I can only create/connect to a database as
>Administrator user and not as a user (with administrative rights) that
>is part of domain. How can I solve this ?
>As you may have figgered out, I am pretty new to Oracle.
>
>Regards,
>rdmw.

Sybrand's advice is spot on. In Oracle there is only one database (physical file system), one instance (the in-memory processes, and many schemas (users with objects). If you did a CREATE DATABASE you likely made a bit of a mess.

Either way ... go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and read the concepts and architecture documents. Larger and uglier messes await if you don't. One can not overemphasize that for someone such as yourself you have more unlearning ahead of you than learning. And the second thing to unlearn is temp tables ... don't use them.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu