Re: Oracle Software Owner WIndows 2K

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:29:16 +0000 (UTC)

I think it's OK. Did you check the "real" owner of the installed Oracle software? The installing domain account is not necessarily the real owner of the installed software - i.e. very likely your oracle software is owned by local Administrators group. You can check it out. Even if it's really owned by the domain admin account used to install it, I don't think there is any problem after dropping that account. But, I am not a Windoz guy.

Matt (mccmx_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: Hello everyone,

: I have a query about security/ownership of the Oracle software on
: Windows 2K.

: We have an 8.1.7 install on Windows that was installed using the
: Domain Admin account. Therefore the Oracle binaries and database
: files are owned by the domain admin account.

: The Oracle database is configured as a service on Win 2K and runs
: under the SYSTEM account. Therefore in theory it is independant of a
: user account.

: One of the security guys on site is planning to remove the domain
: admin accounts from all the servers and I'm concerned that this will
: affect the database setup.

: I will still be able to log onto the server with a privileged account
: which I will add to the ORA_DBA group in order to gain SYSDBA
: privileges.

: Is anyone aware of any issues that will arise after dropping the
: Oracle software owner account (i.e. domain admin) from the system....?
: Metalink was not much help on this issue.

: Matt