extent on W2K caused datafile to go offline

From: Michael Rothwell <marothwellRemoveThis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:08:54 -0700

I was called this am to look at a db that I dont normally deal with. A datafile had extended to 4G from 3G last night, and now the datafile is offline(recovery needed). Tried to recover, got an error that said call support. Called support, they tell me that it is a bug on W2K systems, and that it is ok if it extends to at least 1G more than the 4G mark. This database had just been put into archivelog mode and no backup had been made yet. I do have a copy of the datafile before it extended, is there any way to get it back up to the point that the copy was made? Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the other datafile in that tablespace.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oracle v 9.2.0.1
W2k service pack 4.

thanks,

Michael

--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him.   -- Robert