dbms_alert.signal triggers a memory dump? why?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:52:43 -0400

one of my co-workers was testing the following

procedure is

begin

raise exception

exception
when others then
dbms_alert.signal(unRegistered_alert);
end;

now this locked up because he didnt commit. So he killed the session. He had of these running at the same time. Killed both sessions. Nothing else needed to be rolled back. The status went to 'killed' and the memory dumped to udump? We had to do a shutdown abort to bounce the instance.

any idea why this might happen? I thought memory dumps went to cdump? According to him there was nothing else running in these sessions and he just created them to do this. This is on 8.1.7 on Solaris. No mention on metalink.

what causes memory dumps to trace files? Received on Thu Sep 25 2003 - 20:52:43 CDT